For Sister Olivia, link here.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Daily Refrain

I have lately enjoyed diapering and getting the babies ready in the morning. I'll pile all the diapers, wipes, clothes and shoes into the chair while they stand in their cribs, then get down on the floor, change and clothe them, one at a time. They seem to be used to this treatment after a month or so now, and are relatively docile. And I'm doing all that I can to be the person doing this in the morning.

I think I most enjoy just getting hands on them, leaving raspberries on their bellies and hearing them laugh with their still-sleepy eyes and yawny voices. In turn, they seem to like the clean pants, tolerate the pulling-over of turtlenecks this cold winter, and then sitting on my lap for pulling up pants, socks and shoes. Then the gentle push on the rump to be off and playing or waking their sister, or saying good morning to Mommy.

I am appreciating all these moments. As I've always been admonished to do. As they are short-lived and these children will soon be jumping from their own beds independently, singing songs and toileting themselves without slow Dad's help. And I look forward to that part too. Just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment